Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Sock Yarn Blanket….

I’ve had a few people ask questions about my long term knitting project, My Sock Blankie.  So I thought I’d go ahead and post some information about the project as well as an updated picture of the blanket laid out flat.

003

I started the blanket on August 6, 2011 (wow that was 1 year ago yesterday) during an all day knit in at The Mannings in East Berlin, PA.  My knitting group attends this annual event as a group and we have a blast knitting all day.

The squares are garter stitched mitered squares and are attached as I knit.  I pick up stitches from previous squares to start the new square and I am constructing this blanket on the diagonal.  The square measure approximately 2.5” square and the blanket will consist of 28 squares across by 36 squares down.  This is a total of 1008 squares.  I then plan to knit a solid black outer border with mitered squares in each outer corner.

As of right now I have knit 638 squares and I have set a goal this year of reaching the 900 square mark by the end of 2012.

Each square takes 30 minutes to knit so when I finish knitting the squares I will have put 504 hours of knitting time into this blanket.

During the Ravellenic Games I set myself a goal of knitting 50 squares onto the blanket.  I reached that goal this weekend and received this medal today Smile

Rav Mod Relay Medal

If you are a member of Ravelry you can see more information on the original pattern by visiting my project page.  Feel free to add me as a friend on Ravelry as well.

I hope this answered some of your questions.  I’ve really enjoyed knitting this blankie and I cannot wait to see it finished!

1 comment:

pajudie said...

That is so pretty, Beth - I love the colors :o)