Sunday, March 29, 2009

Quiltathon-ing!!!

My BFF, Nancy, and I had a wonderful in person Quiltathon weekend!!!  I drove to her house on Friday evening after work and we got started sewing right after dinner.

I pulled out a UFO that had been sitting in a box since right before the New Year and started sewing.  I managed to get over 1/2 the blocks pieced Friday night and Saturday afternoon.  The UFO that I was working on is a pattern called Split Decision and I’m using the Bistro fabric line from Moda along with an off white solid fabric for the “light” side of the block.  I’m really happy with the way this one is turning out :)

While I was working on my UFO, Nancy finished a baby quilt top and quilted it and then she quilted the pieces for both of the bags we decided to make.

001So Saturday night and Sunday morning we put together our Paris Traveler’s Bags, the pattern is from Fig Tree Quilts and is a wonderful overnight bag!  We were certainly glad to be working together on our bags as we hit a speed bump or two along the way.  We used fabric from Loralie Ladies and I chose a pink polka dotted gusset, while Nancy opted for a red polka dotted gusset.

What a fantastic weekend!  I wish we lived closer so we could sew together all the time in person, instead of over the phone like we usually do LOL.

I hope everyone had a great Quiltathon, I’m looking forward to the next one :)

5 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, you did have a fun week-end....love the bags.

Quilter In Paradise said...

great bags! I bet it was fun doing this with a friend as well... a little mini-retreat!
Beth/Dallas

Sweet P said...

Those bags are gorgeous! Sounds like you had a fun weekend.

ShinyNewThing said...

Did you see the update on their website for this pattern? The cut size for the main fabric gusset and gusset lining are a bit too long. They should be cut 40” long instead of 42”. If you haven’t pieced your bag , then simply trim it to 40”. If you have already pieced the gusset in and have discovered that it is too long then find the middle of the gusset [which will be right in the middle of the bottom of your bag so it is a fine place to make an alteration], pin it closed right sides together & in, measure 1” over from the fold , make a few marks and sew a seam on that line. Trim the leftover loop of fabric to a 1/4” seam allowance. This will shorten the overall size by 2” total. If this doesn’t make sense to you, then simply trim off 1 1/2” from the middle of the length of your gusset pieces and sew them back together in the same place where you trimmed off the excess fabric. Continue assembly.

You need 1 1/2 yds. lining fabric

Michele said...

Sounds like you ornery girls had a good time and got some sewing done. Now I want to see some jelly rolls getting put to use....hehe